Sunday, November 1, 2009

Criticism: Historical Inaccuracies Noted in Civilization IV Game

I play Civilization IV sometimes to wind down. I mostly use it for some mindless fun. However, the last game I started paying attention to the content of the game and I was shocked to find some very big historical inaccuracies. Here is a few representative examples of problems I found with screen shots for proof:

Civ4ScreenShot0004


I played the French civilization. According to Wikipedia, Paris didn't have a permanent settlement until around 52 BC and Paris didn't become a capital until 508 AD. In the screen shot, it shows Paris being founded in 2840 BC. Also, another troubling thing to notice is that Ronald Regan is the leader of the French. That's just straight up sacrilege.

Civ4ScreenShot0006


During the game the birth of a famous person is announced periodically. In the above screen shot it says that Xi Ling Shi was born in London in 1060 AD. According to Wikipedia, she lived in the 27th century BC. Duh!

Civ4ScreenShot0010


Of all the errors I saw in my game. The screen shot above shows the one that might make a French person most angry. If you look closely, you can see that in my game the Eiffel Tower was built in Kansas City? That's insane.

Civ4ScreenShot0014


Civ4ScreenShot0015


My game was filled with anachronisms (or at least things that were out of place in time). The previous two screen shots are comical examples of this. In the first one a swordsman is fighting an Apache helicopter. In the second one, it's a knight on horseback going after an Apache. That never happened. Not even on the set of Apocalypse Now.

Civ4ScreenShot0019


The previous problems I pointed out were bad. However, things are about to get a lot worse. In my game, the French nuked London. That's crazy. The French use nuclear technology to power their country. They don't lob ICBMs around.

Civ4ScreenShot0024


This is probably the most disturbing error of all. The French did not earn a "Domination Victory" over the entire world in 1979. I don't even have to check Wikipedia on that one.

Civ4ScreenShot0025


Here we see a French soldier planting a flag in victory. That doesn't even happen in French movies. What gives?

Civ4ScreenShot0027


Here you see "French Stuff" spreading across the globe. That never happened.

Civ4ScreenShot0029


Here you see a graph of the France's "power" over recorded history. That's just not what happened.

So, to make a long story short, I'm writing Sid Meier and demanding my money back. I'll let you guys know how it goes. It's no wonder kids don't know history with games like this on the market!

2 comments:

Matt S said...

I think CNN is going to be interested in this for their fact check segment -- have you forwarded this post onto Wolf Blitzer yet?

Anton Olsen said...

The Eiffel Tower was built in Kansas City?

Seriously, anyone who's watched TV knows that the Eiffel Tower is in Las Vegas.