Wednesday, February 11, 2009

DDT

At work I practice DDT (Development-Driven Testing). Under this paradigm, I write code that does something and then I write tests that adequately test that code. As a self-appointed software development guru, I insist that is the right way to do things.

There is a related (but backwards idea) known as TDD (Test-Driven Development). Under this crazy scheme, tests are written first and the corresponding code is written second. People who develop software in this manner are doing it completely wrong.

However, it's important to notice something. If you practice either scheme (or even a combination of the two), the end result is code and tests that test that code. So, unless you tell people how you developed your software, there is no way to know if you did TDD or DDT. So, shut up about it already. I don't care what you do or what you think I should do. Shut up and code.

(By the way, I think everybody should own a shut up and code t-shirt.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate my life. You will soon hate yours too. Mark my words.

Greg said...

@Anonymous

You should start a blog and blog about it. It helps. And, it can't be all that bad. You still have Internet access?

Anonymous said...

Amen

Gregory Holt said...

I can tell the difference. Time to market. But I'm also biased. Very.