Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Mnemosyne Card Schedule Histogram

I'm using Mnemosyne to learn my abbreviations and some other things. I have about 2,200 cards.

There seems to be some misunderstanding about how Mnemosyne works among people I talk to about it. When you use Mnemosyne, you don't review all your cards in one sitting. You only review the cards that are scheduled for that day. Mnemosyne tries to schedule the cards for more optimal learning than you'd get if you did all the cards each day.

If you consistently tell Mnemosyne that you know a card really well, the card gets scheduled for further and further in the future. So, as you learn your cards, the number of cards you need to do each day decreases. Here's a histogram of how my current cards are scheduled:

As you can see, many of my cards are schedule for review over a year into the future.

I highly recommend Mnemosyne. It's a good thing.

No comments: