Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mnemosyne Project

The Mnemosyne Project is a python implementation of Piotr Wozniak's ideas (see previous blog post). A couple of days ago I installed the software and imported a bunch of cards. Each day since then I've used it to memorize those cards.

I like it a lot. The system for determining the timing of repeating the display of cards is better than the Leitner card system. While using the system, you rate your recall of a card from 0 to 5. Various ratings induce various repeat schedules. A card rated 0 is repeated almost immediately. A card rated 5 is scheduled to repeat on some future day.

However, it's not clear if the ratings are the only factor considered for the timing. I need to either read through the documentation or the code to find out.

It's awesome that this is an open source project. If I continue to use the software and desire an additional feature, I can just code it up!

I wonder what features SuperMemo has that would be useful. In particular, I wonder what incremental reading is and how well it works.

No comments: